You know, at first I thought about not doing a thankful list, because I thought that everyone does those and it might not be interesting. But why is that a bad thing? We should all be doing lists of things we’re thankful for, because we need more thankful in our lives. So here’s my list of things to be thankful for – hopefully they spark some for you.
1) Hope. Hope is the most powerful driving force in the human experience. Hope leads us to dare, hope leads us to love and believe we might be loved back, and hope sustains us.
2) Family. Mine is particularly close, as compared to some, and I am aware of this overwhelming blessing all the time. I never could have gotten to where I am without their support, in a variety of ways, and it is a joy to have people to share life with.
3) Friends. Both real life friendships I’ve had since childhood and all the wonderful people I’ve met on the Internet. You fill up my life with laughter and writerly commiserations, and my days would be dull without you.
4) My movement disorder. I’m not trying to be, I am. As much as it hurts, as often as it embarrasses me in public and interferes with my schedule of doing things, it has allowed me the opportunity of knowing who is in my life to stay and of connecting with people I might not otherwise know. And let me tell you, anytime I start getting a big head, I just wait until the next shake-rattle-roll episode and it brings me right back to where I should be again!
5) Sugar. Because for real, I have never come across a sweet thing I didn’t like. You should all keep that in mind, my friendship is easily bought with an array of delicious things.
6) Books and literacy. You can read this sentence here, and in that you have an advantage over massive portions of the world’s population, and for that you must realize how blessed you are. Books allow us to explore the human experience and to live a thousand lives we would otherwise not have access to. Literacy empowers us through knowledge and gives us the ability to share who we are and what we have seen.
7) Caffeine. I simply could not do everything I do now without a little extra energy boost each morning. If you follow me on Twitter, you know this is truer than true.
8) Warm fuzzies. Both the feelings – I love getting all squishy inside, like when I watch Pride and Prejudice and Darcy meets Elizabeth in the sunrise, or when I cuddle a baby close – and the items. Warm, soft blankets, comfy slippers, cozy gloves, fluffy pillows…ALL THE THINGS.
9) Seasons. As much as I hate being cold, I love the cycle of the seasons passing and the different emotions, flavors, and celebrations of each one.
10) Love. The unconditional kind, the kind that moves mountains and shakes the earth, the kind that takes your breath away. The love that sacrifices, the love that denies itself, the love that says, “No matter how far, no matter how hard, no matter how long. Always.”
Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and The Bookish. Hop over to their site to see more Top Ten Tuesday posts.